Friday, May 7, 2010

Lover Mine

Ok, I'm going to go a little off track here and write about a book I just read. Yes, a real book. One that I bought at a store that was published by a real publisher and everything.

I read the latest in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Lover Mine, last week, and it was wonderful. It was about John Matthew, with a healthy dose of Qhuinn and Blay (who collectively broke my heart). We also got the backstory on Xhex, who is much older than I'd thought. Terrific, though. The book had the same tough sexiness of the other books in the series. My quibbles were her overuse of some of the slang, such as "getting verticle" and derivations thereof. Once or twice was fine; after that she could have just said that people sat up.

If you haven't read the BDB series, I highly recommend that you do so. They are fantastic. You can find them all on Amazon or elsewhere, probably used. I don't know the order off the top of my head, but I know that Amazon does number them, so you can make note of it there if you're going elsewhere to obtain the books.


Update: I was chatting with someone on Twitter who said that she had picked up the first book in this series and was intimidated by the glossary at the beginning and put the book back down. Let me tell you right now: YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ THE GLOSSARY FIRST!!! ::ahem:: Sorry for yelling. Seriously, though, it's unfortunate that they put it at the front, because that makes it seem like essential reading material, where I think that it belongs at the back as reference material. They probably wanted the reader to know it's there. Anyhoo, you can grasp the meaning of most of the made-up words from the context, and the glossary is always there for those you want to double-check. So don't get scared. Skip the glossary and move into the glory of the story.


Heh. I rhymed.


;)

No comments:

Post a Comment